Thursday 17 April 2008

Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award


I blogged about this when it was announced. The winner has now been picked. Fresh Kills by Bill Loehfelm.
Home Page (The top three are all men, 5 of the top 10 were women.) Amazon customers voted to pick the grand-prize winner. I wonder were the lads better at drumming up votes? Just a thought.

The Hellraiser of the Hollywood Hills by Jennifer Colt
Casting Off by Nicole R. Dickson
Bad Things Happen by Harry Dolan
The Wet Nurse's Tale by Erica Eisdorfer
The Butterflies of Grand Canyon by Margaret Erhart
Ring of Lies by Karen Laugel
Fresh Kills by Bill Loehfelm
Motherless Children by Randall Luce
The Prospect of My Arrival by Dwight Okita
Wrecking Civilization Before Lunch by John Ring

They received more than 5,000 entries. Over 800 fiction entries were eligible for Amazon.com customers to read, rate, and review.
Editors at Penguin Group (USA) reviewed the Top 100 semifinalists based on early customer reads and full manuscript reviews provided by Publishers' Weekly.
The leading Top 10 finalists were selected for the customers' vote.

3 comments:

Me said...

Hi,
I'm Meta, and I am 15. I love to write poetry, and I think I have a pretty good talent. When I write, it's not like other people, who may have to stop and think for every line. I just write and write and it comes lie after line and it's done. I plan to post many more poems in the future, and I actually, have only one post right now, lol. I was just wondering, because you post about all these contests, if you come across one for younger people, such as me, if you could inform me about it, but only if you want to, of course. My blog really isnt anything right now, but here is the link, just in case:
http://www.thetitledmeta.blogspot.com/
Thanks, Meta

Emerging Writer said...

Hi Meta,

There aren't very many competition for young writers out there but I'll post them when I come across them.

Try putting your poems away (lie after line!) and going back to them after a few months. You may be surprised

NOLAbill said...

Thanks for the coverage.

Interested readers can find out more about "Fresh Kills" and its author by visiting www.billloehfelm.com to check out links, blogs and author appearances.

Hey, Meta - try the website for Poets & Writers magazine, they post extensive contest listings for poets.