Thursday 11 September 2014

Master Class in Poetry- Bernard O'Donoghue

I would love to go to this retreat in Anam Cara but it is way out of my price range. Residential, full board.

Led by the poet Bernard O'Donoghue

A Week-long Residential Retreat
Arrival:  Saturday, 11 October 2014
Departure: Saturday, 18 October 2014

"I grew up in rural North Cork, in a place famous for traditional music and for poetry in Irish from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. These things led to deep-rooted interests in linguistic things, and especially literature, both written and oral. I went to school in Manchester (my mother's place of origin) when I was 16, and my obsessions from then on were Latin, English literature and music (including classical music at the Halle). I have lived in Oxford since 1965, and my main inspirations have been medieval literature: Chaucer and Dante and above all, the shorter poems in Old and Middle English. The Anglo-Saxon elegies are my model for the perfectly formed lyric poem." 


For many years, Bernard has spent time on and been inspired by the Beara Peninsula.  His Master Class will focus on using such places and time as subject matter and/or inspiration as he guides participating poets in enhancing their poetic gifts.    

It also includes tours of the area so perhaps it's aimed at poets from abroad.
Max 12 participants.

No comments: